Civilian architecture

home - architecture - military architecture - citadel - citadel (suit)

Port-Louis houses

Visiting Port-Louis allows you the discovery of numerous references of its history and of style-evolutions.
Saint Pierre Chapel, built in 1859 in the neoclassical style, has replaced the church of 1553; it was situated where a XIth century building was dedicated to Saint Pezran.

The master-carpenters' dwelling, Yvon and Guillaume Tuauden, who built boats on the strand in front of their place. The Driasker village, made up of about fifteen houses, was situated outside the walls of the city, beneath St Pierre Bastion. This house is representative of the architecture from the beginning of the XVIIth century: granite hewed irregularly but carefully fit, narrow windows with chamfered angles, steep pitched roof, likely thatch covered initially.

rue de la citadelleNumber 26 Rue de la Citadelle- Artillery convoys made their way to the citadel through this street laid out under Louis XIIIth. It was only constructed in its oriental part, under Louis XIVth.The house number 26 is a typical example of this period with its alternation of the stoned ponderous attic windows either with a triangular fronton or a semicircular arch. The balcony was added in the XIXth century

8, rue de la posteNumber 6 and 8, Rue de la Poste. Its name is deserved from the relay of horses, which connected Port-Louis to Paris in nine days' time. The number 6 was built in 1741 for a merchant and then sold to Simon Jolly from the India Company. The strict disposition and the elegant proportions are typical of Louis XVth's period. Two variants of façades are present here, one with visible stone, and the other with mortar coating. The garrets in the Mansart way were becoming general and the attic windows were thus in wood.


2,place du marchéNumber 2 Place du Marché(1768). King Henri IVth launched the weekly market in Port-Louis in 1575. It took place on this square in 1766 and used to remain there every Saturdays.The house situated at the corner of the square was nicknamed "the house with a thousand square panes" because of its double glass window panels (that don't exist anymore)..

6,rue des dames

Number 6 Rue des Dames. Following the Spanish occupation (1590-1598), numerous Port-Louis houses have been covered with tiles: they are called "spanish houses". This particularity, exceptional in Brittany, was kept for a long time. These round tiles were imported by boat from Bordeaux.

4,petite rue
Number 4, Petite Rue- A XVIth century house, enlarged and restored in 1616 by Yves Le Lozrec, an Attorney-Receiver of Port-Louis. Once a private school from 1805 to 1820, at the beginning of the XXth century it was a public house receiving the crews of the tunny fishing boats. From rural style, it still bears several alterations on its façade.

place notre-damePlace Notre Dame- The Town Hall is a house built towards 1770 for Dominique Ollivier, a surgeon-major of the city. It was inhabited by marine officers and by Henri Guihéneuc, Lord Mayor of Port-Louis from 1866 to 1875.This Louis XIVth style high mansion enjoys the possession of a lookout tower in vogue at "La Belle Epoque". Several houses in the Rue de La Citadelle and Rue de la Poste have this same particularity.

ancien hôpital de la marine

Monastère des Récollets - Rue de la Citadelle - The 1675 convent displayed on the drawing was converted into the Maritime Hospital in 1795. After the 1945 fire, the only building left is the monumental neoclassical portal and a nearby building dating both from the beginning of the XIXth century.
last modification : 05 26 2005